Friday, October 25, 2013
Thursday, February 04, 2010
Thursday, June 28, 2007
Calcutta (Kolkata) – mega city of Eastern India. In this vibrant city with a distinct socio-political culture, cabs are grand old Ambassadors from Hindustan Motors and most of cars are manufactured from the nearby plant of Uttarpara. This picture was taken next to major long distance Sealdah Railway Station which shows that city of joy still struggles with traffic congestion. Unlike of other major cities where Tata indica or fiat or Maruti are common hired forms of mechanised transport this city has almost all taxis as amby painted in yellow.
Before Maruti it was the only car on Indian road. This reminds me of my childhood times when me and my brother used to identify a Mark-II, Mark-III or Mark-IV by its sound (all these models looked very similar). It was a stupid game in era of Nintendo –Wii. The game was a simple one - we used to hide behind a wall as we saw an Ambassador approaching, try to identify the same by sound and confirm as soon as it passed by from behind.
While writing this post I just found the web page of this car and found 10 reasons to buy this car ……
- First Indian car – [born in 1950 (inception in 1948. Originally based on Morris Oxford ,United Kingdom ]
- Power Steering – [Trying to match up the new market with Maruti, TATA, Honda and Toyota.]
- Multi Fuel Injection – [Well, all new car has that - what a big deal?]
- Company fitted CNG – [Well, you can convert almost every petrol car in India to keep your running cost as low as 1 Rupees for 1 KM.]
- Tough - [tested on Indian roads for long time but why they have to list the toughness twice?]
- Roominess - [Yes, more then 10 people can travel in a single car at a given time!!]
- 5 Speed Gear box - [Another lame reason, all car now a days has the same. ]
- Easy repairable – [They claim across the country all mechanic knows the car inside out.]
- Serves the country – [Used by Indian Army and de-facto car of Indian bureaucrats and politicians. ]
If I have enough money one day I will like to have a chauffeur driven amby for myself just to hang out in nostalgia or in the roomy car or to be different from every one else .My eleventh reason or may be only reason for having this car.
Wednesday, June 20, 2007
Siliguri is gateway to the North East of India. It is commercial city of North Bengal where tea, timber and transport are the main business. It is a base point to head towards Darjeeling, Sikkim, kalimpong, mirik etc. Besides, it is also the transit point for air, road and rail traffic to the neighboring countries of Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh.
Situated at foot of Eastern Himalayas it has very pleasant temperature but weather is very unpredictable as it gets shower any time. Summer is not like other parts of India which burns in hot lava. It hardly exceeds 32 C in day time and after every 3-4 days there is a light rain sometimes short sharp downpour. Winters are really biting cold with mercury level hardly rising to 15 C at day time. During winter, on clear day it gives excellent view of Himalayan peaks with an opportunity to see as backdrop of snow-clad mountains.
In the month of May, we went there for 10 days which was a great escape from Mumbai’s heat and frequent power failure. These pictures are from the terrace of my in-law’s house.
Wednesday, May 16, 2007
Flowers are the sweetest things God ever made and forgot to put a soul into. - Henry Ward Beecher.
I don't know really why I love to picture flowers. Wherever visit if they fascinate me, try to make them my subject.
My dad loves garden; for him it is most sociable of hobbies.Truly said, the very nature of one's field of activities demands an audience. No one wants flowers to blush unseen or waste their sweetness. So, every time we are there we are taken around. This is one of the variety of china rose although not much redolent from my parents garden. Currently, we are on a 10days vacation at Siliguri to escape humid heat and fast life of Mumbai. As said, we tried to take lots of pictures this time of flowers with my new gadget Canon-G7 camera. Just could not stop my self from posting the same. Link to Album